Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

Flexitarian

Flex-i-tar-ian-ism (n.) is a semi-vegetarian diet focusing on vegetarian food with occasional meat consumption. A self-described flexitarian seeks to decrease meat consumption without eliminating it entirely from his or her diet. There are no guidelines for how much or how little meat one must eat before being classified a flexitarian. Flexitarianism is distinguished from pescetarianism (i.e., one who eats only fish in addition to vegetarian foods), as well as pollotarianism (i.e., one who eats only poultry in addition to vegetarian foods).

I am a flexitarian. I now (ever since watching Earthlings) consious about what I eat and what the process to get or make it involved. I don't make meat or buy meat for myself anymore because I think my desire for a delicious steak is not worth the suffering the cow had to endure to produce it; however, I have not cut meat out of my life completely. Eating meat is a big part of my family's culture and also when visiting friends who make me meals with meat, I believe would be rude and sometimes insulting for me to deny it. So I do still consume meat at select times, but I no longer eat it alone or when I have the chance to not to. Who knows, maybe one day I will be a strict vegetarian or maybe a vegan, but until then, I am content being a flexitarian; not to mention the word is cool! haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment